Thursday 6 October 2011

Gastronomy heaven


Now let’s get one thing straight I’m no snob, I’ve eaten Irish stew mixed with Christmas pudding in a mess tin in a field while camping in the forces that would turn the nose of a starving tramp. But tonight my taste buds had a delightful experience.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. 

This morning I attended an art class on the site that was a little disappointing in that I would have liked it to have been a bit better organised, but its early days yet so things can only improve. There I met a delightful diminutive Spanish lady who paints fantastic images, her name is Shari Gonzales her paintings can be viewed on http://www.artes.org she is the teacher of the young man Alex who takes the class. 



She was polite and attentive and even though I produced a piece of water colour rubbish on plain paper she still gave me complimentary support. 
In the afternoon Kay attended a line dancing class and enjoyed the company of other females and also no doubt the opportunity to get away from me for a couple of hours.

We also found out that tomorrow it is going to be a public holiday here and that the shops will all be closed, so it was a quick jaunt down to Mercadona to top up our wine and food supplies.

Now that we have our Cadac BBQ grill working, it was my turn this evening to do the cooking (well joking cooking as Kay had prepared everything, I just did the man thing and threw it on the BBQ)

Kay had put the chicken thighs in a Slovaki marinade this morning and by tea time they were well and truly ready. She prepared fresh green beans drizzled in lemon and boiled potatoes covered in butter. 
We had chilled Montecielo Rosada (Rose wine to you and me) and afterwards my favourite of Goats cheese and a rustic French baget. 
Kay enjoyed her Brie and Emental and for afters Italian we had Tiramisu.
Unless you’ve never tried Goats cheese with red wine then you’re missing a culinary delight, it sends my taste buds wild, it’s equivalent to offering someone a strip of marzipan who has never tasted it before.

I know we are supposed to be dieting; well it is healthy food and low in fat (apart from the Tiramisu) it just means we will have to get out and exercise more.

The site is filling up now with more and more English people who are here like us escaping the dreariness of a UK winter, the snow birds have arrived. There are people from all over Europe here and last night I had the chance to refresh my German language skills as couple of Germans stopped by for a chat. I am still surprised at how some languages stick while others seem to take ages to pick up, it could be my age.
Well time to go out and relax in the warm barmy evening air…..now where did I put that bottle of!!!!

More Anon

No comments: