Saturday 27 August 2011

It’s a Bank holiday! what do you expect?


It’s Friday and true to form the weather is at its usual Bank Holiday best as we sit here with the rain beating down on the RV’s roof, its hammering so loudly that it’s hard to hear the TV with thunder & lightning flashing and rolling around the camp site.
I had noticed earlier today as Kay & I cycled the footpath (before the rains came that is) with the munchkin leading the way that the water level of the Sharpness canal was very high, which worryingly for us is situated above our heads atop a bank in front of the RV, I just hope the builders of the canal built it well and strong.
There was lots of pleasure craft navigating the canal both large and small and I overheard a fisherman on the bank complain that the fishing was poor today, no doubt the excess water and the increased movement has had something to do with that.

We had planned to eat out tonight as yesterday was Kay’s birthday and I wanted to treat her to a night off cooking, sadly the rains put pay to that. I know you’re going to say why didn’t I cook? If you tasted my culinary delights you would know why.

Loads of caravans and campers have arrived on site for the weekend but it’s the ones in tents I feel sorry for, they are in for one wet weekend.

Saturday morning and the weather has been kind-ish we promised the Munchkin (Rhys) a trip into Gloucester to see the Tall ships festival so off we went to Quedgeley to use the Park& Ride into the Gloucester Quays.
It was packed with people loads of boats on display with people going round in period costume and it turned out to be a great day out. 

We visited the ‘Kathlene & May’ the last wooden hulled three masted top sail schooner. See this link http://www.kathleenandmay.co.uk/ about her history. Rhys enjoyed meeting Captain Jack Sparrow and his crew on the dockside.
This was the schooner we saw pass our RV as it navigated up the canal.

Do eee want him hung drawn and quartered?
What happens Bamps if I ring this eight times?
Ok where's everybody gone!














Overboard Bamps!


The next ship was the Pheonix a two masted Brig here Rhys met with loads of people dressed in period costume who took time to explain how things worked, he liked the armourer explaining how a brown Bess worked I think he was hoping to fire it.

The  Pheonix
No you can't shoot your Bamps son!












I've got the gun, can I shoot
Bamps Now?
Keep me out of it!













After a trip around the Gloucester regimental museum the Munchkin started to moan a bit, so I called over two likely lads who happened to be Peeler's to arrest him for being a pest the look on his face was priceless until they told him they weren't going to lock him up.

Off to the lock up.
Is this loaded Bamps?












He got his own back by demanding to go on a Twirler at the fun fair and of course I had to go on with him, I’m too old for this stuff I soon found out as I felt most of my breakfast coming back up.

Behind the smiles is a
breakfast just about to appear!
A quick visit to the Pizza Hut for lunch (something to steady my innards) and then it was back to the RV to rest our aching feet.

More Anon

No comments: